The best part about this vegetable soup is that you can easily customize it with whatever veggies you have on hand. Opt for carrots or rutabaga instead of parsnips. Potatoes, sweet potato or another squash rather than the butternut, try fennel instead of leeks, go with kale or spinach instead of the Swiss chard. You could go with green beans instead of peas or maybe some fresh broccoli. Try sliced mushrooms if you’ve got them. If you are a meat or seafood eater, this soup would be delicious served with some cooked chicken breast or maybe shrimp at the end.
Red Curry Vegetable Soup (Gluten-free + Vegan) serves 6-8 this is the slow cooker that I use
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and trimmed, white and light green parts only, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cubs low sodium vegetable broth or stock (chicken broth will also work great)
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos (or fish sauce)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk
- juice from 1 lime
- sea salt, to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional
- fresh cilantro
- green onions
Add all up the ingredients up to and including the gluten-free tamari (or fish sauce) to your slow cooker. If you wish to saute the onion, leeks, garlic and ginger first in a separate pan with some olive or coconut oil, you absolutely can do that. I personally prefer to make crock-pot cooking as simple and quick as possible – so I go all in.
Give it all a good stir, to dissolve the red curry paste. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours, or on low for 8 hours. Just before serving add the frozen peas, the roughly chopped swiss chard, the coconut milk and the fresh lime juice. Give it all a good stir to combine the coconut milk. Put the lid back on and give it a few minutes to cook the peas and wilt the swiss chard. Taste just before serving and adjust your seasonings, as necessary. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, green onions and or sprouts. Enjoy!